Newcastle Vision Supports Safeguarding project commenced in 2007 following a number of concerns regarding people with a visual impairment who had been victims of abuse or at risk from abuse. The project has continued to develop over the years and now our main aims are:
- To raise awareness of Safeguarding at our SAFE courses, social groups, events, website, newsletters and through safeguarding adults training.
- To offer 1-1 support to people with a visual impairment who have been victims of abuse or crime or are at risk from these occurring, for as long as required.
- To refer people to other organisations for specialist organisations, e.g. Victims First, Northumbria Police, Time to Talk, Women’s Aid and Community Health and Social Care.
- We are a Safe Reporting Centre with Northumbria Police and we can refer incidents of crime to the police if you are unable to do this yourself
- To reduce social isolation, depression through social interaction groups and ongoing support
- Newcastle Vision Support have been fortunate to continue to receive funding to keep this vital project going from a variety of funders and this unique project is currently funded by the Esmee Fairbairn NE Fund AND Northumbria PCC’s Supporting Victims Fund.